Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Students Rule..well sorta

So many new things to report. I found a friend in one of the students..too bad he is one of my students but definitely think that it is a good thing. It all started when my running partner who coaches the institute's athletes invited one of the students to go running with us. Well he invited one of the good runners..this boy is fast. It turned out he was the same kid who gave me Obama's speech in my class. Anyways a few days later the same kid wanted me to help out with the English debate club at school on Saturday night. Saturday morning I ran 10 miles with the kid..I totally was slowing him down but he wanted to run with me so I let him. I mentioned to him that I wanted to get some gals running and he said he would try and organize it. I went to their debate club..it was amazing to see students being able to articulate on some of these topics. That night the topic was is the English language a disadvantage to third world countries...or something to that effect. The points and logic that these kids were making were awesome and some of them are such good speakers. One guy in particular reminds me of a preacher..he could probably get a job as one. That night I saw these students in a new light..but I also know that teachers can't be friends..but can give guidance. I know how it feels to be a manager now, you can be chummy but you still have to do your job. Anyways the point on talking about the gals running is that he followed through on it. This week he came to my flat with 4 gals and said they would like to run. We'll see because we start next week. My hope is to either get them to do the Moshi Half Marathon next year or something similar..maybe our slogan can be "Ndiyo Tunaweza"..ha..

On the downside today I gave my first quiz and I caught students teaching. Yup I had to be tough and give them zeros. So this is the downside of being a teacher..just like if a manager caught their worker not being productive. It hurts to tell a student that I have to give them a zero because here they are desperate to get a good grade...but desperation can lead to cheating. And that I cannot tolerate. It probably feels just as bad to lay someone off because you know that they have a family and need the money but they just aren't productive. So yup today was a sad day. Another funny thing is students try to play on the fact that some teachers are lazy. I told them that they have homework due next week. Well they told me is it individual or group? And I said individual but they said to me well if you make it group you will have less papers to grade. And I just laughed at that and said I am not a lazy teacher..this is an individual assignment. Like I said I gotta be tough! But the day ended on a good note. On the upside again is that when a student understands programming it makes me so happy. Today some students got the hang of programming..though I have had to dumb it down for them but to see them get the simple concepts is great! I see the thrill in being a teacher as well as the hardships..and that of managing as well. But I guess all this boils down to ethics.

So let me now talk about ethics. On Saturday we had a teacher's meeting and we discussed the ethics of teaching. I guess some teachers here just give students grades without really marking papers and give easy tests so they can pass everyone. Well we finally got around to discussing the normal distribution curve. And how it is important to be fair not too easy and not too tough because we want students to decide to come to our school so they can learn not so they can just get a good grade. I see how colleges think now..Michigan would say we need to make our tests tough so that the smarter students come to our school..and people who just want to pass and be lazy don't..ha..I could see it because that is sorta how we were discussing things then. And the best part was this "students are our clients, without students wanting to come here teachers wouldn't have a job so we have to provide a good service to our customers..the students." :)