Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Kuwa na Moyo- Have Heart

Even if one needs one will give- this is so true. I was greeting a local farm worker the other day, she knows me pretty well. She showed me a bag of beans and 2 mangos and said "kupe" which means give you. So she gave me those items, I felt so bad as she could have sold them and made some money instead of giving it to me for free. . Later I was hiking Loleza peak with a student and I related my story to him. He said that there is a Swahili proverb about the heart and even if one is in need they give. I don't remember the exact proverb otherwise I would write it down. Tanzanian people here have so much generosity, even if they don't have they give. When I visit people's houses I am not intending on being fed, but they feed me even if they weren't expecting me. You would never see this in the States. You can see here community is important.