Friday, February 6, 2009

Computer Club

So yesterday I had my first computer club meeting which all the computer engineering students attended. In this meeting I taught them basic html some seemed to get the hang of it and some were slower but eventually caught on. I know I definitely need to slow down the pace of my English..especially when I am excited (in a good way)..when I teach I am excited so it tends to get too fast. I thought I would have problems with speaking in front of 50 kids but really I am very comfortable at doing this, I think part of the reason is that I am teaching not giving a boring presentation and they are all here with the intention of learning..or maybe because it is because I have authority as a teacher..I don't know what it is. Anyways I plan on teaching them Java Script next week. The computer engineering program is new at the institute so these are the first kids to graduate from this program. I will be there for their graduation. They will start learning computer programming as a class for their program next year but I am hoping in teaching them Java Script I can give them a head start in the basic constructs needed in programming (like control statements and variables). The culmination of all this is to have them start a student website for their computer engineering program. We will see where this takes us. For now they need to learn these concepts. I finally had to finish teaching because the electricity went off so with that they left.

On my way home the student who I befriended was so surprised that these computer engineering students actually wanted to attend this class even though it is not required for their program and he was surprised that I was teaching it (he thought I was working too hard). I told him I enjoy teaching but he now wants to learn this work ethic of mine (putting in effort and trying hard). He was surprised that I was not complaining or tired and I was happy to teach. Maybe I can teach students about work ethic by example. I do want to start teaching them a resume writing and interview skills workshop of sorts to help prepare them for getting jobs in the future.

Like I said many ideas..the nice thing about being here is that I can create and execute my ideas without having lots of red tape. As long as they don't require money I can do it, they just require time and I have lots of time to give.