Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Sasa Hivi, Bado Kidogo and other TZ Sayings/Doings

So here in Tanzania they say sasa hivi or bado kidogo..when really it is not right now or just a little bit longer..it is sometimes 30 or more mins longer! Why do they say that you ask? Because they don't want you to lose hope. They feel if they say it is not too much longer than you will think that it will happen at some point and it is not never going to happen. But in a sense you lose hope because you know that it won't happen right now. I am bad explaining this feeling, but you will know what I mean if you experience it. But I guess it is like in the US when we say, "one minute"..instead of something taking one minute it actually is 5-10 mins..kinda like sasa hivi..right now..

We'll see each other tomorrow if God wishes. This is self explanatory. They love to say this to me when we end our day.

Be free. Meaning don't worry about being polite just do what you want to do, we are family so we don't care about formalities.

This one is not a saying but an action. Raising your eyebrows means yes. This is going to get take some getting used to and I can forsee if I get into this habit it will be hard for me not to do it once I get back in the States. Though for now my reaction is to laugh whenever I see this though it confuses the person saying the yes with raised eyebrows. In the States raised eyebrows usually means confusion or asking the question "What?" or "what did you say?"...so when I see it I want to repeat my question when in fact I should keep my mouth shut because they said yes. :)