Monday, January 12, 2009

Za wiki iliyopita?

Lots of things happened this past week. First a professor died so I went over his wife's house with some other TZ peeps from school. After we said our condolensces, we sat in a room full of people (mostly women) who were sharing the sorrow with the wife. Many of them were crying but I could not cry as I did not know the guy but I definitely felt sad for the guy. Unfortunately he was working on his PhD and he died only a few months before finishing at the young age of 40! Pole sana!! :( Some of them also sang some worship songs and I could understand some of the lyrics with the little Swahili I know. School started but students did not show up since they don't usually the first week of school. I asked one of the professors about this and he said that it is because most students are trying to find school fees or are still with parents during the holiday break. Very odd because in the States everyone would be there for the first week of school, but here in TZ things never happen on time so it makes sense that even though it started no one was there. BTW officially I am called a lecturer here not a teacher so I guess my title changed a bit. I went to the post office to get packages from people. Thanks for sending stuff! It is a interesting process here. First I had to go to the post office and pay a fee, then I had to go to customs to open the package and pay a fee. Apparently you don't have to pay a customs fee if you are receiving computers and books. Computers here are very expensive to buy here BTW. Much cheaper in the States but it is because of import/export fees. Next they are starting a sports program at school for teachers but no one showed up but me and the KOICA volunteer. So I just ran with the little neighbor kid and it was fun..he totally beat me! I am not going to do the Kili half marathon this year because of school teaching and other things...going to try for next year. Finally I had a fellow PCV visitor so along with the KOICA volunteers we made brownies and spinach ravioli from scratch! While watching Mama Mia we concoted the brownie dance..'cause brownies are yummy in our tummy! Today is Zanzibar Revolution Day so there is no school. BTW the best time to visit is in January for airline ticket prices and it is very warm here (well not where I am, where I am it gets in the high 70s at most), not yet the rainy season though we still get the occasional rain. Kwa heri! Tutaonana baadaye!