Thursday, January 15, 2009

Darasa..Class.

So today is the middle of the week but I thought I would write so that I would not forget as I have finished teaching for the week. Yesterday I taught my first class, there were only a few students so I did a basic introduction to the class. I can't wait to actually get to the meat of the stuff but before I do that I must install the GNU compiler on the new computers. Also I found out that I will have a co-teacher teaching the class with me. He is going to take 2 sections and I will take 2 sections but the bad part is the coordination. Also, we have a new head of department..well you know Corporate America and the meetings we always have..apparently over here they like to have their meetings as well..sometimes at the expense of teaching students! The strangest thing happened yesterday. My co-teacher was supposed to teach the class we taught, but the head told him tell the students to wait because I want to hold our department meeting. I was so surprised! I would have went ahead and taught the class..how can students learn if the teacher won't be teaching..but alas we had our meeting. The meeting was about organization of our dept since it is a new course (which means new subject) here at the institute and about keeping our computer lab open all the time. No one wanted to be the one to keep it open all the time because students tend to steal here in TZ. We don't have this problem as frequently in the States as they do here but that is because we have cameras and alarms, here we replace machines with people (for alot of things). Today one of the teachers was sick and he was supposed to teach at 7:30 AM. I was the lucky one who was here early so the students came up to me and asked me if I would teach their class. I had no idea what I was going to teach but then I remembered this was one of those classes I thought I was going to teach and I had slides prepared just for the introduction...luckily I didn't delete them! So basically I taught this class at the seat of my pants and it was about databases. So I went over the basic concepts (field, record, etc) and then told them to open up Access to play with the sample database a bit. This bit of teaching got me excited for databases! :) I am supposed to work on a database using PHP and yadda yadda to help the school keep track of salaries so in addition to teaching this is something else I have as a project. Yet no more information on this as of yet. I do want to start. And we are supposed to plan an ICT (info communication technology) conference..another thing in the works..we'll see what happens with it. But the real key phrase here is "Be Free".