Monday, January 5, 2009

Heri ya mwaka mpya! Happy new year!

My first post of the new year, it better be special right? Ha. I don't care. Anyways can you believe by the end of next year (2010) I will be out of here? I can't..it is going by too fast. I am loving it here so far, who knows what my future holds.
For New Years I went to Tukuyu to visit some PC volunteers, the fellow KOICA (Korean) volunteer came with me too. Tukuyu is 2 hours south by coaster (public bus)and is where the majority of the Nyakusa tribe live in TZ. So I learned a few words in Kinyakusa which is their language, luckily the folks at the Ikuti soko speak that language too so it is very helpful to know. I only know basic greetings (like 5 words) but it is enough to get people smiling and happy that I know anything of their language. It is very green in Tuk but it rains alot so that is why.
On the Eve we baked various American things but on New Years Day we walked down to the Kaparogwe Falls..very beautiful walk with plenty of banana trees and lush vegetation along the way. On our way back we just missed the pouring rain. I also got to see my fellow volunteer's cute kittens..it was a great weekend overall. And along the way back I got 3 pineapples for a dollar in Kiwira! :)