Saturday, January 17, 2009

Touring the World

"Athletes (runners) get to tour, that is the right word yes, tour? They get to tour the world and see places that others who don't run get to see.", said the man I run with to me. We did tour the world alright. Today I saw places that were so beautiful that I did not know existed near me. We definitely ran through some mtns but we started on a paved road running from the institute to Mbalizi and then we went through the beautiful terrain on our way back. We ran a little less than 20 KM (sadly I forget to put on my Garmin GPS) starting at 6:15 AM this morning..the most I have run since Labor Day..but we did so in tough terrain...like terrain I would hike up not run up..but he was inspiring just keeping on running while all I felt like doing was walking. To my credit, I ran most of the time, just a few little spots I walked on.

He also said to me when we finished, "I have never seen a woman like you. Most women can only run a few kilometers and then they start complaining. You could actually run with me without complaining.". Ha..I am nothing..he should definitely see the thousands of runners in the States that do marathons..I am so slow..but I hope to get better. I certainly will get better as here I run at altitude and in mountainous terrain. I think I am more of a social runner when it comes to training, I need someone to run with, to keep me company though I will get competitive with myself during races. He has it in his head that he can train me to compete in some games that the workers here participate in that is put on by the ministry called VETA games..I am not sure if I am allowed to participate as even though I work here I am a volunteer not a TZ resident (at least not yet)..but we'll see. I am totally up to training but I am not sure about this competing thing. He also thinks that because I am a woman and I can run such distance without complaining that I can inspire the woman at this institute to run too. We'll also see about that one. But for now I can just keep on running..it's what makes me feel like I am strong and can conquer anything.