Monday, October 6, 2008

Miasha..life..

That is life..here. No water, electricity goes and comes, malaria and HIV are prevalent. But there is also the beautiful kangas, the great music, the interesting dance. Life. It is everywhere. I realize how much of it I take for granted as I sat there today contemplating whether I should take two baths a day so as not to use the water that we have. It can be brought by filling buckets at the neighbor’s house but it is a tedious task. It is amazing how much water we use in a given day and how we don’t realize it till we are without. Lot of things are like that. Little things that I never think about in the States I think about now. Like using a charcoal stove. That is so hard and it takes so much time to cook little things. So many shortcuts we have in life over there and here we have none yet people still work full time jobs and manage to get things done. I should mention that most of the people doing the housework here is still the women and some of them do work full time. Amazing, but alas that is life.