Thursday, October 2, 2008

Daladalas

How many people can one fit on a daladala? 20? 30? A daladala is a small minivan used for transportation or a small bus. They try and put many people in one as they can. Some interesting positions I have seen. A daladala is my main transport into/out of town (besides walking 3 km).

In town today I visited a Hindu temple. Interesting how a culture that doesn’t exist in a society still has a place. They were celebrating Navarati, a Hindu holiday. It was a tiny one room temple and it was amazing how welcoming they were though neither of us spoke the same languages. I also have found various shops with Indian spices supplies. My one true happiness was finding cilantro! I made some guacamole with that find. Someday soon my fellow trainee and I plan to make pizza for our host families. Stay tuned for updates!