Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Hakuna Umeme..

What if there was no electricity? Well I can tell you the things I have done with no electricity. One day we made sambusas which are similar to Indian samosas. I can officially say that I know how to make them. We made them with potato and pea filling. And the trick to the dough is to add oil which is similar to chapati dough except uses white flour. Then we fried them on a charcoal stove. So for those of you who actually do visit me..let's make them! You definitely need to do this one with someone else. Sorta like making dumplings. There is a Tanzanian woman next door who was married to an Indian guy. She taught me how to make them..next I want to learn how to make alu parathas.

The other thing I just did the other day without electricity was teach computers. How? Well I taught computer theory. It wasn't too hard. Explain about the different parts of a computer and point to them. And then give them definitions of different security issues. Thursday will be my last day internship teaching. And then in a few weeks (3 to be exact) we will be at our sites. Scary prospect, huh?

This weekend some volunteers may come over for dinner. We'll be making American food with electricity hopefully using my mama's oven. Chocolate chip cookies, chips and guac and the American favorite pizza (with mozzerella cheese..sorta fake stuff).

On a random note as I was walking home from school I saw two guys hold hands. I would never see that in America but here all it implies is friendship. If only there was no stigma attached to a simple act.