Saturday, September 20, 2008

Dar Es Salaam..Cell Phones..

The sights and smells of Dar are similar to what you would find in any other city. The peddlers on the street selling their goods, the street food, the shops for various things, and just everything you would want. Our adventure consisted of many but for me it was to get a SIM card. I ended up getting a SIM using Celtel or Zain which is one of the major carriers in this country. I took a quad band phone from the States, had it unlocked by asking TMobile (my US carrier), put it in the new SIM and it worked. Basically most plans over here consist of you buying a SIM card for 2000tsh (2 US dollars) and then after that paying as you go though incoming calls are free! I have 1000tsh on my phone but it’s for emergencies., it is 3tsh/second for a call and it’s pretty cheap to text (which is what many people do here).

If you want to call me a cheap phone company is http://www.nobelcom.com/ and it’s about 9 cents per min. Write me an email if you would like my phone number at neeta.cita (at) gmail (dot) com.