Sunday, May 31, 2009

Msimba

Just went to a funeral this past week for a worker from the institute. He was one of those who always teased me in a joking way about the way I pronounce certain words in Kis. So it was sad that as I pass the halls I will no longer hear his voice. Apparently he died of heart failure but there is rumors that he was also HIV positive. Funerals in Tanzania are attended by all, man and woman are seperate for the procession and before the procession. Before the procession women gather in a room crying and singing and men gather seperately doing what I don't know as I am not a man. Men wear normal clothes but women cover their lower body by wrapping around a kanga or kitenge(a piece of cloth) over their clothes (whether they are wearing pants or skirts underneath). Wrapping it like a sarong of sorts. And some also cover their heads. There is no wearing of black clothing- that is a Western tradition. On another note HIV positive men in TZ tend to be (but not always) those with money as they can afford to obtain certain things certain ways- which saddens me as some of these wealthy men prey on innocent girls who can't afford school fees (these men are known as Fataki). It is the opposite of the US- those with education and power here tend to get the disease. Which strengthens my stance on the girls conference coming up in a few weeks.