Wednesday, November 26, 2008

PCV- It's official...

So we are officially PCVs. These past few days consisted of leaving our homestay families, getting ready for swearing in today, and meeting our headmasters of school. Leaving our families was sad. I can say at least for me it was really like leaving a mother. :) I will try and keep in touch though.

The next part was meeting our headmasters. I met my head of department (computer department), as my school is pretty large. He seems like a cool guy and I am excited about teaching and living in Mbeya. We will be traveling together from Dar to Mbeya tomorrow.

Then we have swear in which to the families was graduation of sorts. Some volunteers put on a rocking skit which we all took part in. Then another volunteer said a thank you to the families in Kiswahili which I thought he did well at. We also had speeches from various officials. It felt long as the room was hot but it was like a typical graduation type thing.

The cool part was that the swear in oath we stated is the same oath that our new president will state when he comes into office. Apparently it's the same oath that military personnel and foreign officers state when representing our government.

Overall it was good to see our families and finally feel closure with the first chapter in our PCV experience. Looking forward the next one! Kwa heri till I am in Mbeya. You can check for swear in pictures, in the Swear In folder at: Swear In Pictures