Sunday, November 1, 2009

The Prez Has Come

So us volunteers down south have spotted the president of TZed as he makes his grand tour. Some got to meet him, me not so lucky..but I did get to attend a "beer" fest..that is some South Africans have opened a beer factory near me. Funny 'cause I don't like the stuff..but great for friends that visit! :) Maybe some day I will get a tour of the place. :) Anyways, I got to see the president speak but it was mostly about how this modern technology has come to TZed (there aren't really any manafacturing plants or industry here in TZ). Having industry like this is good for TZ because it imports most of it's processed food from Kenya, and it makes mechanical and electrical engineering students obtain jobs more easily. Here in TZed people with an undergraduate engineering degree don't make much money, those who do studied arts or business. I think it is the opposite of America. But without engineers there is no innovation in technology, so this could be a great stepping stone for Tanzania in the global market place.

Also, had some interesting forward thinking conversations with some fellow co-workers about how to budget money, which is a strange concept here as most people spend their money on day-to-day stuff without saving. I think the modern educated Tanzanians are forward thinking and that this country will prosper in the years to come.