Tuesday, August 19, 2008

PC Timeline: From Application to Staging

Here is my Peace Corps Timeline for those of you currently applying. I have more details on the process but I didn't want to post everything. If you have more questions feel free to email me.

August 29th- Submitted my application and got the recommendations in. Requested Africa and Asia as my regions. Requested Information Technology, Business, and Health as my job choices. I was working as an engineer for 6 years after my undergrad before I applied for the Peace Corps and I volunteered as ESL instructor outside of my full-time job. Attended an info session a year before at UConn. My undergrad was in computer engineering at Michigan.

Sept 4th- Got a packet of forms to fill out before the interview. Fingerprinting, loan obligation, and background check stuff. I had a mortgage and student loans.

Sept 11th- Mailed in the forms and fingerprints.

Sept 20th- Interviewed in NYC. Had to fill out a vegetarian questionaire to see how strict of a veggie I am.

Sept 21st- Nomination for Computer Science in Africa for Sept 2008.

Sept 28th- Received the medical packet. Made appts with the VA Hospital for free medical examinations. Had insurance cover my dental exam.

Oct 30th- Submitted the medical and dental packet.

Nov 7th- Dentally cleared.

Nov 29th- Medically cleared.

Jan 23rd- Got an email and call from the placement office. They asked me questions about my vegetarianism and what other jobs I would be interested in.

Jan 24th- My Toolkit said an invitation would be mailed out.

Feb 1st- Invited to Tanzania for Sept 2008! My job function is to teach computers to secondary school students.

Feb 4th- Accepted my invite. Filled out forms for a no-fee passport and had to send in my old passport. Also filled out a visa application for Tanzania.

March 3rd- Got my old passport back. Submitted it for renewal and to update my Indian visa so I can visit relatives if I have to.

March 24th- Sent my aspiration statement and resume. Also sent in official school transcripts.

April 4th- Got information on using Rosetta Stone for free and need to get 40 hours done before staging. Started Rosetta Stone very slowly as I was busy with packing up my life and work.

July 15th- Closed on my house. No more mortgage to worry about. Just my student loans which I can defer.

August 19th- Received my staging packet. Staging is Sept 14th in Philly!